Skip to main content

Teachers, I Challenge You!


Teachers: I Challenge You! 

Try this the first week of school!

Some students come to class the first day, with a list of past behavioral issues trailing behind them, like wet toilet paper stuck to their shoe.  Before the first day of school has ended, it is almost a given that some well-meaning, but frazzled teacher will make a subtle reference to a student's behavioral issues, in an attempt to derail a student's negative behavior.  Often, however, this approach may begin a cycle that has been repeated year after year, which is that everyone expects the student to be a discipline problem, so the student will perform, accordingly. 

In defense of teachers everywhere, it is a given that no student will thrive in an environment where behavioral issues take up more time than  teaching the lesson.  It is a perfectly normal reflex for a  teacher to immediately discourage further "incidences" and react to a student's behavior by immediately proclaiming that this year in this class things will be different! Like a gardener standing in the middle of a myriad of colorful blossoms the teacher will snap her sharpened scissors and begin to do what teachers have often found to be effective which is to "nip it in the bud," in hopes that a foundation has been laid and students know what is and what is not acceptable.   

Look, I get it!  Previous teachers have pulled me aside with a woeful expression, complete with a dialogue from a student's past, that would make the most seasoned teacher cringe, and I have been that teacher who had the "nip it in the bud" mentality, and honestly, sometimes it is a quick and effective wayto be quick and effective in deferring a student's behavioral issues.  However, I have rarely built a strong relationship with a student based on this particular intimidation method.  They may not be a classroom disruption, but neither will they flourish in your class and rarely will they reach their academic potential.  

It is not just students with behavioral problems that slip through the cracks from year to year, but also a number of other students in various other situations who will also not reach their academic potential.  "For example, the "brand new" student to the school who show up the first day, facing an foreign environment, with classmates they have never met.  From problems at home, to anxiety issues, left over from a previous school year to a myriad of other things, some students come to school expecting to feel weird, left out, and ultimately, in their mind, a loser.  

A teacher cannot fix these problems, no matter how badly she would like to do so; however, EVERY teacher can do something that validates each and every student, as a unique individual deserving of respect. 

Why should teachers build a relationship with their students? 

Building an early relationship with every student is the beginning of a student's social, emotional and academic success, no matter the age.  

If you are looking for a way to build community in your classroom, from the first day of school to the last, I challenge you to do something I wish I had done a long time ago.  I admit this did not start out as something I did specifically for the students in my classroom; however, last year when school started, I played this simple youtube video of me reading the book I Wish You More.

You could have heard a pin drop in my classroom when my students heard my voice on a youtube video.  They were delighted.  After getting through the first few minutes of exclamations of how cool it was that their teacher had a youtube channel, they settled down and really listened to the story.  It is true that the story I Wish You More is one that I wanted to use to begin building a relationship with each and every student.  I watched their eager faces, and I could tell that each student felt a little bit taller, a little more self-assured, and a little less anxious about the new school year.  

First of all, by making this video and sharing it with them, I spoke the universal language of two simple words: "I care."   I told them that I initially made this video for my niece, but after making it, I realized that it was perfect for them, as well.  

How do I create an audiobook video?

This was the beginning of many books that I recorded, edited, and posted on youtube for my students all during the year.  The first thing I hear from teachers is that they have no idea how to put together a movie, nor how to post it to youtube.  In a future blog, I will outline a simple way to create an audiobook video that will take little time and energy.  Most teachers hold everything they need to create a video, like the one I created in this post, in the palm of their hand, a smartphone. 






This is another audiobook that I narrated and dedicated to my little niece.  Whether for your classroom or just something you do as a service for the public, it is a gift to read a book for all children to enjoy. As teachers, we are all too aware that some students enter kindergarten and have never been read to a day in their life.  So, again, I challenge you to record an audiobook.  You May say, “I wouldn’t know where to start!”  👀 Really?  Lol... with all the apps available, I can assure you it is easy, and most importantly, it gives a sense of accomplishment.  

Please take time to comment and let me know if you are interested in learning how to create a quick video for your class! I will be glad to answer any questions and provide help. You will be amazed to see the effect this one thing, created by you, will impact them, and ultimately impact the students during the entire school year.  You will not regret it.  

  

Comments

  1. Looking forward to your post about creating audiobook videos. There are so many great picture books to read and not enough classroom time. It would be great to make these videos to email home, like a bedtime story from your teacher.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Best Anchor Charts to Teach ELA

What Makes the Best Anchor Charts?        If I see students referring back, again and again, to an anchor chart in my classroom, I know the space on my classroom wall is being used well. On the other hand, if an anchor chart rarely gets a second glance, the space is wasted.  As difficult as it is to take down a chart you spent time and energy making, and all teachers know we do not have much of either, the space is best used for a more effective chart or resource.   Tips for making anchor charts  Focus on one objective The chart should be easy to read Keep it simple  Use MNEMONICs when possible The anchor chart should be pleasing to the eye The anchor charts, below, are among the top charts that are tried and true resources for students year after year!!  <iframe style="width:120px;height:240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&

In Memory of Michelle Blackwell, a loving daughter, teacher, mother and friend

Memories wash over me, slowly, almost painfully.  I've decided upon "bittersweet" to describe that late day in May of 2011.  The excited chant of children at a pep-rally, but this was no ordinary pep-rally.  It was a day to celebrate the student's hard work throughout the year, preparing them for the MCT II that loomed ahead.  I joined a group of bouncing 4th graders wearing matching yellow shirts.  I watched in admiration as their teacher's enthusiasm matched their own.  My own son was privileged to be a part of this group.    From the beginning of the school year, I knew Ms. Blackwell was one of those teachers that a child never forgets.  My son, a good student, but always a bit timid, began to become more animated than I had ever seen him, describing his school day.  I realized he was learning and at the same time having a lot of fun.  This is not an easy feat for a teacher to incorporate into a classroom, especially with the stress of the MCT II, but

Boogie Boards in the Classroom

As I was checking out at a store, I noticed these little packaged boxes with "Boogie Board" written on it.  (okay... OKAY... I admit it... I fell victim to the oldest trick of getting people to "notice" things for sale:  Putting it near the check-out counter....)  Anyway, in this case I consider it to have been advantageous, not just for the store owner, but for me, the consumer.   Basically, a "Boogie Board" is about a 1/4 of an inch thick board a little bigger than a 5X7 photograph.  It comes with a stylus, a screen cleaning cloth, and a clip-on for the stylus.  Also, it features an ion battery that never needs replacing.  The way it works is very simple.  You write something on it, and then you push a button, a light flashes, and you have a "clean slate."   Possible uses in the classroom quickly came to my mind, as I was standing there at the check-out counter.  So, what do I do?  I buy it.  The more I got to thinking about it, the more